8/11/09

The Crusade

I. First, 1096-1099
To Outremer, by the sea,
the masses at Constantinople,
our sword shall go to Jerusalem!
Down, infidel and pagan!

Father, I have sinned.
It has been a lifetime
since my last confession.
"Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris,
et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."

Take my hand, dear, and I will hold you,
servo, fides, spes, persevero.
Love never fails.

II. Second, 1147-1149
Down in Edessa, fire.
Love, stay safe; Lord, keep her from harm.

I am near Edessa, two towns away.
I am Jacob, and the dunes are but a few days.
Love is patient, love is kind.
Lord, keep her from harm.

III. Third, 1189-1192
Like Frederick's men I am weak,
arrivederci.
Dove siete?

IV. Fourth, 1202-1261
Light the fire upon the city.
As Sodom, my crucible.

V. Fifth, Sixth, 1213-1229
Are you worn, Ayyubid, are you weary?
The stone the mason rejects becomes the capstone.

I walked the foothills of Damascus and met your men.
When I cut them down, I never felt
His diaphanous hand on my own.
I look up, and the pontiff
points a sword to the east.

VI. Seventh, 1248-1254
In transitus
Coin in hand, on the deck,
I am here at Damietta,
erose vagrant,
but not alone; Jerusalem,
house of the Lord,
is bartered with blood
as standard as gold,
brief like any
insect ephemera,
and I am not alone

VII. Eighth, 1270
Look at me, dear, from above.
Είμαι ένα που δεσμεύεται στη γη,
Είμαι ένα που δεσμεύεται από το Θεό.
κοιτάξτε, αγαπητός!
ποια είναι ι?
με συγχωρήστε.

Πού είστε(Where
are you?)?

VIII. Ninth, 1271-1272
To Acre, by the sea,
our sword shall go to Jerusalem.
Father, I have sinned.
(Do you hear me, dear?)

Raise your sword. Raise
your shield, men.
Forget the transgression,
Forget the Lord.
Today is the past,
and there is no tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment